- February 12, 2019
- Posted by: Lerato GCE
- Category: Members
The declaration released on December 12, 2018 notes that Albania invests only 3.3% of its GDP on education, far from international and regional standards. This low investment rate undermines the rights of children and young people for the provision of free, quality and inclusive public education for all.
In middle-income countries like Albania, a dollar invested in education generates more than $ 5 in additional gross earnings annually.
For years, the Albanian Coalition for Education (ACE) and NGOs have urged to the Albanian Government, Parliament, and every political party to allocate 5% of GDP to education.
5% OF GDP TOWARDS EDUCATION ENSURES:
- The provision of an inclusive, equitable, quality, and free education for all children and young people across Albania.
- The increased investment in school infrastructure, laboratories, classrooms, gyms, and quality libraries.
- The improvement of teaching quality by translating this into an increase in academic achievement comparable to European Union countries.
The CSOs undersigned to this declaration express their conviction that the right of every person to free, quality, and public education for all is a basic human right that must be respected. In this context, they invite the Albanian Parliament, the Government, and all institutions, political parties, and social partners to jointly do their utmost to respect and guarantee this right.
The following NGOs have signed on to the declaration:
- Albanian Coalition for Education (ACE)
- Albanian National Youth Network (ANYN)
- Albanian National Child Rights Network “ACT for Children!”
- Human Rights House in Albania (HRH)
- Women’s Democracy Network in Albania
- Child Rights Centre in Albania (CRCA)
- National Child Help Line ALO 116
- Child & Youth Policy Hub Albania
- PINK Embassy in Albania
- Information and Research Centre for Child Rights in Albania
- Help the Life Association
- Albanian Law and Territorial Studies Institute (ALTRI)
- National Centre for Social Studies
- La casa nel Cuore
- Down Syndrome Albania
- Partnere per Fermijet
- Albanian Education Foundation
- World Vision Albania
- Albanian Helsinki Committee
- Albanian Disability Rights Foundation (ADRF)
- European Centre
- National Association Education for Life
- Save the Children Albania
- VATRA Centre, Vlore
- Centre for Population and Development
- Useful to Albanian Women
- Action for Change and Transformation
- Rromano Kham
- Terre des Hommes
- ARSIS, Social Organization for the Support of Youth
*Link to policy paper on financing public education in Albania, published by the Albanian coalition on November 2018.
Photo credit: Albanian Coalition (ACE)